Friday, July 16, 2010

you know what I mean?

Note to Self:

People know what you mean.  You aren't in a foreign country.  You aren't a totally opaque, inarticulate communicator.  So, when you constantly ask, "you know what I mean?" or "Does that make sense?" you are either insulting your intelligence or the intelligence of others.  I've met your friends.  They are not too shy to tell you when you are failing to communicate well.  Some of them seem to enjoy telling you that.  So maybe you can ditch that phrase and just say what you mean.

Sincerely:
John

1 comment:

  1. Ack! I do this, too. One of my close friends uses "know what I mean?" constantly, and if I don't watch myself, I pick it up, too. "Does that make sense?" is pretty typical when I am talking to my children or students. Maybe if they would stop giving me blank looks it would help me break my habit! Or...I could just be more confident that I am immediately understood.

    ReplyDelete